Why?

After 14 years of LA, the things we didn't like about living here finally wore us down and we decided to move away. Our first choice was Portland, Oregon. After months of interviewing, neither of us could secure a job. We turned our sights to the next city on the list, New York. We lined up jobs and moved at the end of March 2008.

Apparently this was a bad idea. Things were not as they seemed and New York was not a good fit. We learned some good, hard lessons about life. We moved back to LA (four months later!) because the most important things were:

- be with our friends and close to our sisters
- advance our careers in a market we understand
- enjoy a low cost of living so we can save & travel

This is what makes us happy and apparently we had to move away to get our priorities straight. We still LOVE NEW YORK! We just enjoy it more as tourists...

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Brooklyn Frenchie Meetup



WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!! It was in the 70's, not too hot. I left at 10:15 with little B and walked to the Bus Stop where I caught the bus to take us to the L Train (only a 10 blocks away). Then 2 stops later, we were at our exit. We walked about 10 minutes and arrived at 11am at McCarren park in Brooklyn (Williamsburg). There were about 20 Frenchies that met up and they were awesome! Little B had a fantastic time...he ended up playing with a 3.5 month old Frenchie named "Shorty". His owner & I struck up a conversation while we watched them wrestle. He was a really nice guy & offered me a ride back into Manhattan in his Jeep. We put all the windows down and headed into Queens for pet store treats, then went across the street to the smoothie place for a drink. After he dropped us off, I put little B away for a nap and took the bus to Chinatown (20 minutes waiting for the bus, 15 minutes to get there) to grab some herbs. I got bubble tea, walked around, and found places that sold "I Love NY" tees for really cheap! ( 7 for $10). Saw ducks hanging in windows, raw herbs and other cool stuff in the grocery stores, several beauty salons, massage/acupuncture parlors, and other neato stuff. This is *way* cooler than Chinatown in SF. I didn't want to stop and take pictures though - it was crowded (Saturday, duh) and I didn't want to be pick-pocketed since I was alone. I'll be back and bring my camera then!