


Did I say that moving to New York was the hardest thing I've ever done? The fun never ends.
I worked a 32 hour shift and then moved. And didn't finish. Here's the story.
I went to work Thursday morning at 10am, and my shift ended Friday night at 5pm. I came home, had a light dinner, and passed out. The movers were scheduled for Saturday a.m. and here's where the fun began. X has been in LA this past week. I got up at 5am Saturday, got the car from the garage, and drove to JFK airport to pick him up from his red-eye flight where he only got 3 hours sleep too. We drove to meet the movers at the storage unit in Brewster (1.5 hours north). We loaded the truck and drove back to Manhattan.
I got a parking spot right out front of the building (what luck on a Saturday!!) We stacked up boxes in our 850 sqft apartment for 3 hours...well *they* did the lifting and moving while X directed and I unpacked as fast as possible to check for breakage/missing items. Everything went really well. We had a freight elevator blocked off for us and it was done in 3 hours.
After that, X & I used the car to do a trip from the old apartment to get some stuff but we didn't finish before it was dark and we were exhausted. We tucked the car in downstairs and passed out for the night.
Today we were supposed to finish taking loads from the old apartment. I was called into work for what was supposed to be a meeting. It turned into a whole day of working which totally blew our day. We only got 1 more load done and haven't unpacked anything. So half our stuff is still at the old place and the rest is in boxes in the dark at the new place. In the dark because New York apartments don't have lighting. It's a thing. They have lights in the kitchen and bathrooms but that's it. You have to buy floor lamps. That's just how it's done.
Good times.
I'm taking off tomorrow morning to get the last load and finish the gathering phase.
We have boxes to the ceiling but are tremendously happy to have all our stuff. We love the new place. It's really quiet, the view is amazing, the location is right on the water and on top of a park and it's close to subways and work. The staff is incredibly helpful. There are two great dog parks within two blocks and one is right across the street! It's such a great fit being so close to Tribeca too.