Why?

After 14 years of LA, the things we didn't like about living here finally wore us down and we decided to move away. Our first choice was Portland, Oregon. After months of interviewing, neither of us could secure a job. We turned our sights to the next city on the list, New York. We lined up jobs and moved at the end of March 2008.

Apparently this was a bad idea. Things were not as they seemed and New York was not a good fit. We learned some good, hard lessons about life. We moved back to LA (four months later!) because the most important things were:

- be with our friends and close to our sisters
- advance our careers in a market we understand
- enjoy a low cost of living so we can save & travel

This is what makes us happy and apparently we had to move away to get our priorities straight. We still LOVE NEW YORK! We just enjoy it more as tourists...

Sunday, March 9, 2008

One Solid Weekend


This weekend is a blur. It's the first one we've had that wasn't interrupted in some way by a trip, appointments, or a party of some sort. 

Beeper arrived at noon on Saturday with sandwiches and coffee and ready to help in any way we could steer her. First thing we did was load all the hazardous waste (paint, garden pesticides, etc) into the car to do a run to the S.A.F.E. collection center. Then we stopped at the $.99 store for squeegees and spent a gorgeous day outside washing all the windows! Meanwhile X stayed in and packed/sorted through his 4000-paperback-book collection. We loaded tons of boxes to empty shelves that need to be sold at the garage sale next weekend. We wound down and grabbed dinner and pints of swamp suds at Rajun Cajun

Sunday morning came way too quickly after losing a much needed extra hour of sleep with the Daylight savings time change. Our guy from Cool Earth showed up around 10am and did a solid four hours of through cleaning in every room while we continued to pack and ready the house for open house. 

I'm getting a little burned out from sorting and needed to switch gears for a bit. I decided to do a little comfort baking, plus I need to use up stuff in the pantry before the move. I whipped out the Scharffen-Berger bar I'd been saving for a rainy day and made Double Chocolate Cookies, with a twist. Instead of finely ground coffee, I used 1 tsp of espresso we got in Vienna. Then instead of just unsweetened chocolate broken into small chunks, I used half that and half peanut butter chips. I didn't put any nuts in. Oh boy were these yummy. I will be making them again!

Then just as these were coming out of the oven our neighbors came over with a couple bottles of wine to share - gotta squeeze in that quality time where we can! 

I work hard, I play hard. At some point I need to sleep for a week.