Why?

After 14 years of LA, the things we didn't like about living here finally wore us down and we decided to move away. Our first choice was Portland, Oregon. After months of interviewing, neither of us could secure a job. We turned our sights to the next city on the list, New York. We lined up jobs and moved at the end of March 2008.

Apparently this was a bad idea. Things were not as they seemed and New York was not a good fit. We learned some good, hard lessons about life. We moved back to LA (four months later!) because the most important things were:

- be with our friends and close to our sisters
- advance our careers in a market we understand
- enjoy a low cost of living so we can save & travel

This is what makes us happy and apparently we had to move away to get our priorities straight. We still LOVE NEW YORK! We just enjoy it more as tourists...

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Travel Day...Culver City to Manhattan

I'm here! Okay, here's how my travel day went:

X drops me off at LGB airport along with the babies, a messenger bag, a large roller duffle and 4 large soft duffles. I'm supposed to call him once I'm past checking in with this extravaganza. Here's where the fun begins. I check in fine but my phone won't turn on...it's stuck in a black screen. After I try a few things like plugging it into power, pushing buttons, and having a random person I run into call my number, I borrow his phone to call X and let him know I'm fine and he can drive back home. A nice guy in the waiting area hooks up his laptop and figures out how to reboot my phone which fixes it. X then calls to tell me I've forgotten my trenchcoat & hat, which he can ship. Fine. We get on the plane and after waiting 45 minutes on the runway we finally hear they've lost our flight plan and were waiting for it and should be off soon. Oh. Then 30 seconds later the captain's on the intercom saying the cargo light is on and we need to taxi back to the gate to check the door. Then when we're finally up in the air 2 hours later, I discover my TV is broken.

I arrive in JFK exhausted but happy to be here. I go to pick up my bags and the carousel was jammed so it was a bit delayed. I head out to the curb since my driver has been doing circles waiting for me (I asked if they could come in but there is construction happening in the lot so they would have to park far away). He takes one look at the Sherpa bag and says "is that a CAT? he has to ride in back with the luggage". Fine. Whatever. It's an SUV.

So the babies is crying the whole drive into town. I'm so hungry (last meal was 8am) and my tummy is rumbling. Still happy. I tip the driver extra to stay with the bags while I unload them to the apartment. I take one load up and come back to find he has unloaded the rest onto the curb and is anxious to leave...I'm annoyed.

4 trips later of bringing bags in myself, I run next door for cat litter and cat food. I bring him out of the crate and give him a little food and lock him in the bedroom. He wolfs down dinner and vomits under the bed...where I can't reach. So I move him and his catbox to the bathroom and start dragging the huge bed sideways to clean underneath. I'm still hungry here. I'm weak. Now I'm really annoyed. So with the room all back together, I go to check on the babies in the bathroom and find that I have somehow LOCKED HIM IN!! Okay, WHAT? So now I have to find something to pick a lock with. Safety pin in my luggage did the trick. Okay, the babies vomit in the tub can wait.

I head out to St. Mark's for some rotten Japanese food at 11:30 sitting by myself. I decided that I needed something a little more yummy and "New York-y". So I found a cafe called Moonstruck and stopped for pie & coffee. The waiter was really friendly and chummy and I told him it's my first night here. As I was leaving he calls out, "hey! Welcome home!"

So cool.