Why?

After 14 years of LA, the things we didn't like about living here finally wore us down and we decided to move away. Our first choice was Portland, Oregon. After months of interviewing, neither of us could secure a job. We turned our sights to the next city on the list, New York. We lined up jobs and moved at the end of March 2008.

Apparently this was a bad idea. Things were not as they seemed and New York was not a good fit. We learned some good, hard lessons about life. We moved back to LA (four months later!) because the most important things were:

- be with our friends and close to our sisters
- advance our careers in a market we understand
- enjoy a low cost of living so we can save & travel

This is what makes us happy and apparently we had to move away to get our priorities straight. We still LOVE NEW YORK! We just enjoy it more as tourists...

Sunday, March 16, 2008

YARD SALE!

This morning I woke up while it was still dark. I threw on my Sunday Cargo pants, sweatshirt and a hat (I'm too busy to do a full-on freak out about my hair but it's already bugging me). At 7:30am CC showed up with Starbucks and a car full of goodies to add to the yard sale. We started setting up and got the first wave at 8am. We were so busy I couldn't even drink the coffee or hang our signs until 10am! I was able to clear out all our stuff. Our neighbors across the street were having a huge family party and at one point or another all of them came by to browse. 

In the middle of the day a couple who wanted to see the house just showed up on my porch totally unannounced. Hmm. We completely unleashed after the big tidy-up for Tuesday's open house and are deep in the throes of sorting the nitty-gritty. There are literally aisles of crap in every room. It couldn't be less presentable. Great. I called my agent who was luckily nearby and we were able to give them a quick - albeit sloppy - tour of the inside. Maybe they will come back next week when we're gone so they can actually *see* the inside.

All our neighbors came by throughout the day to visit & say goodbye. By 5pm (longest garage sale in MY history) we only had a couple boxes left and I just put them on the curb. My neighbors brought over tequila shots and plates of BBQ to share. I dragged myself inside for a hot bath and began another round of sorting in the office.